Approaching employers directly
- There may be instances when employers choose not to advertise certain roles, so it’s worthwhile contacting them directly to ask if they have any vacancies. By doing this, you may even catch them just before they advertise a job.
- Unlike when you reply to an advert, you aren’t competing against a large group of people .
- Finding somebody without advertising saves the employer time and money.
- Make sure you approach employers in the right way. Many retailers, cafe’s and restaurants still recruit by putting a sign in the window. Ensure you have an up-to-date CV and covering letter at the ready and, if emailing your application, try to find out the name of the individual responsible for hiring and send it directly to them.
- A useful way to learn more about the people, roles and structure at companies that interest you.
- Some employers now use social networking to recruit new staff. Make sure you create a profile that will impress potential employers.
- Follow those brands you’d like to work for, keeping an eye out for new information on upcoming vacancies.
If you are using twitter or Facebook to help you with your job search, make sure you keep your own accounts professional and clean. Keep your personal accounts private, and your professional ones public. Any offensive or inappropriate social networking activity can quickly be tracked down by prospective employers, hindering your chances of securing a new role.
Friends and Family
- Let your friends and family know you are seeking work, in case they hear of any opportunities or can offer you a job or know someone who can.
Keep an eye on what’s going on in the Gatwick Diamond area
- Stay up to date with local news for developments in the Gatwick Diamond which could mean employment opportunities . e.g. the expansion of Gatwick Airport, new companies moving into the area or expanding their premises and workforce.
- Sign up for the GatwickDiamondJobs.com weekly e-newsletter for candidates – simply click on the green Sign Up button situated bottom left of this page.
- Have you read the GatwickDiamondJobs.com news blog recently?